Sunday 22 March 2015

Evaluation - How does your media product represent particular social groups?

The artist that I have used in my music magazine is Taylor Brodie. I have used him to represent my target audience as he is 18 years old which is also who my magazine is targeted towards. This will help the magazine sell as the audience can relate to the the related artist. My target audience is students as the majority of students listen to music every day and they are very interested in it. Furthermore, the majority of students tend to live with other people (parents/guardians, other friends) which would increase the advertising of my product through word of mouth as once one student finishes the magazine, they are likely to leave it lying around the flat/house for someone else to read it which will increase my audience. I have also ensured that Taylor is wearing appropriate clothing that appeals to my student audience.
Demographics reflect the characteristics of media consumers. Examples of these are age, gender, race, income level and education. This information distinguishes a group of people and their social class. Institutions of magazines look at the statistics when looking at their target audience. This is because it helps the institution recognize their main audience and it will help them aim their product towards them. I have also looked at the social class table. my magazine is aimed at the E band on the social class table. This includes casual workers, unemployed workers, students and pensioners. However, my magazine is aimed mainly towards students. My magazine is priced at £2.50. I decided on this price as my target audience of the E band will not have much disposable income to spend, therefore they need a good quality magazine for a cheap price. I have also included a competition that my audience can enter once they have bought the magazine. This is good for my audience as the prizes available to win in the competitions, my audience may not have the money to buy such as VIP tickets to concerts.
As you can see, i researched what clothes my target audience are likely to wear. By doing this i was able to ensure that Taylor (my model) was wearing something similar. This would make the target audience feel that they could relate to Taylor as he is the same age and is wearing similar clothing. When carrying out my research, I also created a moodboard of my target audience's likes and interests. This allowed me to determine which bands to include in the magazine and which advertisements to include inside my magazine. Furthermore, I created a reader profile for my magazine to show statistics about my audience. Doing all of this allowed me to determine the main feature story, the feature stories and the plug on my front cover. This is because I used all of the information i got from the research i did to include appropriate bands/artists, determine the price and what feature stories to use.



No comments:

Post a Comment